Thursday, October 2, 2008

Little Mr. Distraction

Ethan is only three, but don't be fooled into thinking that he doesn't know exactly what is going on. The first time I really got to hold him in the hospital, I looked down into his newborn eyes and he looked straight back at me as if he were saying, "Oh, there you are. Finally. You should check out the nursery downstairs. I've been working on my Chinese while you were in recovery." He never had that dazed look that a lot of babies have for the first month or so. In fact, I often thought that he was possible recording info and planning to remember it later. This is also the baby that would nod his head yes or no at six months and surpassed his sister in language skills at about 18 months. So, believe it or not, I was surprised when he tried this little trick the other day. We're still potty training and yet again, he didn't take his business to the right bank. Since I believe that he understands the theory, but just doesn't want to stop playing and "make a transaction", I was fussing.

"Ethan, you have to go to the potty! You are three years old and I know you know how to use the potty. Why didn't you get up and go?"

E: "What street is our church on? Jhong Jheng?"

T: "Ethan, don't change the subject."

E: "Well, don't change the area."

T: "The area? What are you talking about?"

E: "Not the area, the ariel."

T: "The ariel? What is that?"

Abbey: "Momma, that's the yucky princess without enough clothes on."

T: "Wait, Ethan, this isn't important. What we were talking about was important. You have to use the potty in the potty."

At this point, he is milling around the room and totally unfocused on what I am saying. And 3 points go to the three year old team! He wins!

Some days, you just have to let it go.

No comments: