Monday, June 23, 2008

What's in a name?

Recently, Ethan has been really into names. He told me that he knew his Nai-Nai and Ye-Ye Bracken's names. When I ask what they were, he said, "Tommy and Tommy, wait, no, Tommy and Sandy." And the other day, I called him and he answered, "My name is ETHan, not EAT like food." (This comes from the "th" sound being kinda hard for Chinese to pronounce, thus, he is called "E-ton" a lot.) The real kicker came today. He has been practicing my and Chris' names. Chris' is pretty easy for him to remember because they share the middle name Josiah, however, mine is proving to be more difficult. My mother had a creative streak when I was born and named me Tiffany Elisha. My middle name is pronounced, E (A hard E sound)-lish (rhymes with dish)-ah. Consequently, it has been said wrong many, many times. But Ethan now holds the record for the most distortion of my name. Keep in mind, this is the kid that just corrected me when he thought I said his name wrong. Today, he called me "Tiffany Delicious Bracken". That is not a missionary name.

No comments: