Monday, May 24, 2010

Rigged Chairs and the Fun that Followed

A few weeks ago, Chris, the kids and I were at Carrefour. Carrefour is the French version of Walmart. Why we have a French store instead of just Walmart baffles me, but that is a different post. Anyways, Chris and I are never there together because of his aversion to shopping, however, we needed an office chair and he needed to be there to try it out. He was walking ahead of me and passed a display of little, square, wooden stools. He bumped one. Three fell. He tried to replace the three and five fell. I was hiding a couple of aisles back giggling. He finally got everything back in place and we went on the look at the chairs, which happen to be on the aisle right next to the rigged display. A few minutes later, a lady came along and started looking at the stools. Chris walked up behind me and started mumbling, "Watch out for those chairs, lady, they are rigged. They fall easily. Oh, see, I told you they were rigged." The last line was mumbled just as a few chairs came crashing down. I suddenly became really interested in a catalogue and Chris began studying the chairs like there was a pop quiz later. The lady tried to replace the fallen stools only to have more fall down. As this point, we had recovered from giggling like grade schoolers and went over to help her. Chris ended up redoing their display in such a way that did not promote tumbling stools. We wondered if the Carrefour workers had been hiding and laughing it up all day long.

No comments: