Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Day of Surprises

Thursday, I was reminded of just how much a child can mature in just one year. Abbey and Ethan needed some booster shots before going back to school and, frankly, I was dreading it like a 200 mile run. Last year, when Abbey got shots, I couldn't even blog about the experience because I was too embarrassed. The short story is that she spun in circles in my arms, screaming and spitting. Yes, I said spitting. Chris ended up holding her legs, I held her upper body and another nurse helped us. When we went back in to the lobby, all the children were sitting in their mother's laps and it was dead quiet. I escaped as quickly as I could and let Chris handle the bill. This year she sat quietly listening to my ipod and rested her head on my shoulder. She didn't even cry. When it was over, she told us that it hurt, but she seemed more concerned with getting a band-aid. (If you don't have kids, then I should tell you that getting a band-aid is super cool to them.) Chris and I walked out of the doctor's office looking at each other in shock. Good shock, but shock none the less.

In case you are wondering how Ethan did, well, he is fearless. Last year and this year, he calmly took his shots and then jumped up and wanted to know when he could get his toy. In fact, when we went to the doctor on Wednesday to get shots and they didn't have the one that Ethan needed, he cried all the way out of the doctor's office because he was going to have to wait a day to get a new toy! Boys!

No comments: